Voxels, physically based rendering and DIYVR in a smorgasbord of WebGL this week.
- Adventure Box has released a tech preview of their astounding voxel-based sandbox game. We’re talking tens of millions of voxels; really impressive.
- PlayCanvas has announced that they will soon be releasing physically-based rendering in their engine and tools. In the meantime, here is a preview featuring Star-Lord. Stunning!
- Now you can browse the over one million photos of Earth taken from space from the International Space Station, over four hundred kilometers above Earth, in a 3D WebGL interface. Created by Callum Prentice, Second Life developer during the day since 2004 ● Enthusiastic WebGL hacker in the evenings.
- Solar system in your pocket: developer Tim Samshuijzen has created an AR/VR solar system for Google Cardboard that uses the webcam, WebGL, Three.js Cardboard rendering and device orientation. DIYVR FTW!
- The Plus360Degrees Car Visualizer is now fully mobile enabled! Point your mobile browser at http://carvisualizer.plus360degrees.com/threejs/. Works better on tablets… the big screen layout is nicer than on a phone.
Patrick Cozzi, friend of Learning WebGL, lead Cesium engineer and glTF collaborator, also teaches (as if he’s not busy enough!). He asked us to share his student’s end-of-term projects:
- WebGL interactive fluid simulation by Binglu Du and Xingjie Ma. https://github.com/dblsai/WebGL-Fluid/blob/master/README.md. The rendering includes reflection, refraction, soft shadow, and caustics. The simulation includes water interaction with the mouse, a sphere, and a mesh
- Dynamic geometry fractures with using WebCL by Kai Ninomiya and Jiatong He. https://github.com/kainino0x/cis565final/blob/master/README.md
- WebGL path tracer by Bo Zhang and Ying Li. https://github.com/wulinjiansheng/WebGL_PathTracer/blob/master/README. Not all browsers like the big shader, so there’s also a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm6VyPIbKP0
- WebGL global international study data visualization by Lei Yang and Wei-chien Tu. http://foxking0416.github.io/GPU-FinalProject/
- Particle system collision with a mesh using level sets by Zhenghan Mei and Zhen Gou. https://github.com/gouzhen1/WebGL-Particle-System/blob/master/README.md