Blog design

At least one reader has grumbled in the comments about my white-on-black-ish colour scheme (though no-ones grumbled yet about my consistent UK spelling of colour ;-) . I’m wondering whether I should try another theme; what do you think?

(I’ll interpret zero comments as meaning “stick with what you have” — otherwise I’ll let comments guide me to a set of alternatives and try them out so that everyone can tell me what they think.)

[UPDATE] It probably goes without saying, but if you’re reading this on Planet WebGL (or RSS!) then click on the title of this post to see what the site normally looks like.

12 Responses to “Blog design”

1. Alessandro says:

Hi

I think a better theme may improve reading. I was going to suggest a slightly bigger font also :D

2. ed says:

The theme looks ok to me.

3. Christophe says:

I think the website is looking very good!
    Also I have to admit, I read it more in google reader than actually going to it.

Finally I would to say to you are doing a great job and when I will start actual webgl programming, this is going to be my reference.

I’m mainty an OpenGL programmer so maybe I’m also satisfy with the way the code is done but you are critical with what you do so it’s good!

Good luck and have fun!

4. murphy says:

I demand a 3D scheme!
    ;)

5. Richard says:

White on black is harder/less comfortable to read if you have crappy sight.

6. Samuel Ytterbrink says:

Richard, i dont agree.
    Most software for people with bad sight often have functionality to invert the screens colors so that ‘normal’ pages transforms from black on white to white on black!

And i love the design, it looks so good.

PS. if you want black on white on a mac pres ctrl+alt+cmd+8

Thanks to everyone, for the compliments as well as the ideas :-)

What would you think if I stuck with this design but increased the text size substantially (say, by 50-100%)?

8. Richard says:

Samuel it depends very much on your vision globes I suppose. I have crappy sight (I think that’s the technical term) and white on black is far easier to read.

9. Lindsay says:

Yes please! Black on white!

10. Richard says:

> white on black is far easier to read

I meant to say black on white. Oopsy.

Hmm, OK. Black on white seems to have quite a few votes, and while some people like the current scheme, others don’t.

That’ll teach me to hope that everyone will want the same thing and take the burden of deciding what to do away from me ;-)

I think I’ll do a bit more investigation of themes, and try to find a few that are as fun-looking as this one but use black on white text and have larger fonts. Then I can try them out for, say, a day or two each, and see what everyone thinks.

Oh, and @murphy — I’ll look into using a 3D theme just as soon as I can work out what one would look like ;-)

12. steve says:

White on black here… Everything used to be white on black or green on black or amber on black, so I have no idea why everyone is so gung ho about staring into headlights black on white these days.

Do they also read books by staring into a lightbulb? I know a book has white pages, but a book is not internally lit and a screen has massive light generators blasting outwards, as bright as bright can be!