WebGL around the net, 13 January 2011

Mozilla’s Game-On 2010 competition has now reached its public phase, and there are some great WebGL entries! It looks like a lot of people have been keeping their games under wraps until now.

I think I have all the WebGL ones here, but let me know if there are any I’ve missed!

BTW there are a bunch of great non-WebGL games there too, the full list is well spending time perusing.

Other cool WebGL stuff this week:

• This is a great demo, but very picky about which browser it will run in: dozens of ray-traced Android mascots. The author recommends Firefox 4.0b8 with the “webgl.prefer_gl” config set to “true”; it worked for me (but rendered upside-down) in the current Minefield nightly build with no settings. I don’t think it currently works in Chrome, and probably therefore not in Safari.
  • More three.js demos: from AlteredQualia a scene not for the easily-seasick, and from OutsideOfSociety an MD2 character.
  • If you’re interested in using the OES_texture_float extension to render to floating-point textures and wondering why you can’t get it to work, this discussion on the WebGL Dev List may be enlightening.

8 Responses to “WebGL around the net, 13 January 2011”

1. [...] Ein Seite insbesondere mit Spielen, die Demos von Mozilla (weitere) und die von Chromium (hier besonders nett: Das Aquarium und die Wall Of Photos) und was zum Einstieg. [...]

2. Titan says:

Hi, there was a page in the past. It shows a comparing between webgl and opengl es. The difference were colored red. Now i missed this page. Did somebody know the link? Not everything in webgl is one by one the same in OES.

thx titan

3. Jeremy Lazarus says:

Hey, Toxic Tower is my game. It wasn’t ready for release by the deadline, but I put up what I had at the time anyways.

I’d like to thank you for your site. This blog and the various articles have been extremely helpful on getting me up to speed with webgl.

4. Titan says:

My Firefox 4 Beta 9 does not like the german chars ä,ö,ü,ß in comments in the Shadersting. (non-ascii-char error, no shadercompiling)

greets

5. Springer says:

Thumbs up for your Toxic Tower Jeremy! Smooth tentacle gameplay.

@Titan — re: the comparison page, I don’t recall anything like that, but I’d be really interested in seeing it. Re: German characters in shaders, there’s been a lot of discussion around that issue on the Public WebGL list recently — triggered by the fact that they were forbidding not just non-ASCII characters, but also things like ‘ and @. The good news is that it looks like the spec has been changed and now you can put any UTF-8 text in your comments; the actual code, however, must still be ASCII. Looks like implementations will support that shortly.

@Jeremy — thanks! I’ve updated the post accordingly.

7. Titan says:

I missed the official discussing places too often.

BUT I find the page again. I read you are interested too so I moved every Bit in the WWW again (; It was from Vladimir but it could be too old. http://people.mozilla.com/~vladimir/canvas3d/docs/glweb20binding.html

The WebGL Specs chapter 6 (Differences Between WebGL and OpenGL ES 2.0) could be more up to date http://www.khronos.org/registry/webgl/doc/spec/WebGL-spec.html

Your page grew up the last years – very nice!

greets titan