WebGL around the net, 31 December 2010

• Some great demos from Sami Mäkelä — the Christmas star is particularly nice (it crashed Minefield on my machine, but other people have had no problems with it).
  • Over at Lewpen.com, some nice ray-tracing demos and a simple baseline shader.
  • These guys seem to be doing a great job of translating the WebGL tutorials into Japanese!
  • A follow-up to last week’s report that Chrome is getting the ability to load binary data straight into JavaScript typed arrays from XmlHttpRequests — Ted Mielczarek says in the comments that the same functionality’s already in Firefox 4 beta 8! The property by which the typed array data is exposed is different, but hopefully that’ll be standardised quickly.
  • Gamma is a new Javascript library which can be used to create 2.5D platform games for a web browser using the power of HTML, JavaScript, CSS and WebGL.” It’s based on GLGE and a bunch of other great libraries. No online demos yet, but it looks interesting.

9 Responses to “WebGL around the net, 31 December 2010”

1. Sami Mäkelä says:

Here is a simple fireworks I made yesterday: http://programming-progress.com/webgl/fireworks.html

2. Benoit Jacob says:

Please file a bug about the Minefield crash you’re experiencing: I can’t reproduce it.

3. nemo says:

No Firefox crashing here either. FF nightly, linux, nvidia card.

Same as last time you reported a Firefox crash actually.

I wonder if there’s something going on with your installation.

Also. I wonder if Chromium is using Angle if you are under windows, vs native opengl of the card? Just a guess. don’t know too much about the Windows situation.

@Benoit, @nemo — thanks for letting me know, I’ve updated the description to make it clear that my browser install is the one known to crash. It was also having problems with the samples on the Wiki, so perhaps it’s the machine.

@Sami — very nice demo!

5. Benoit Jacob says:

Giles, I’m still interested in your bug report :-) The quickest to figure this out is to go to about:crashes and give me the first link you see there (most recent crash). Given that these demos are about very big shaders, I strongly suspect a driver bug, but it would be interesting to know why only Minefield crashes.

6. Benoit Jacob says:

Ah, one more thing. If you install the DirectX runtime, then Minefield is able to use ANGLE instead of OpenGL for rendering under windows. The crash could be explained if only Minefield was using OpenGL.

Hi Benoit — will do. It’s my work machine that’s crashing, so I should be able to check it out on Tuesday.

Hi Benoit — tried again with the most recent nighly — unfortunately it hangs rather than crashes, so there’s no crash report. I’ll try installing the DirectX runtime.

OK, I confirm it works with the DirectX runtime — so, a driver bug?