I’ve spent a while playing with WebGL on the Nokia N900 smartphone. It sounds like its inclusion in the 1.2 release of the phone’s firmware (which happened last week) was a surprise to the Mozilla team, which would explain why we’ve not seen any publicity… So, given that the developers don’t think it’s ready for prime time yet, and that the WebGL standard isn’t at 1.0 yet, and no-one’s been testing their demos on anything apart from desktop machines, it’s surprising that it works at all, and astonishing that it works as well as it does
If you have an N900, here’s a random selection of demos that will work on it; I’ll put a video together for people who don’t but still want to see it… [UPDATE: video here]
- A spinning WebGL cube. (This includes a workaround for an odd bit of shader behaviour — interested parties might want to compare with this version without the workaround.)
- Vladimir Vukićević’s Spore creature viewer (took a long time to appear — perhaps 2 minutes — but worked fine when it did).
- Brandon Jones enhanced Spore viewer (took a while to come up
, and for some reason it won’t respond to mouse drags[UPDATE with a link directly to the demo, mouse drags now work])
- Particle explosions
- Google’s shiny teapot demo
- Google’s San Angeles demo
- Google’s particle demo
- My first Mandelbrot demo
- Lesson 9: Merry Christmas
- Lesson 10.5: nano-doom with lighting
- Lesson 14: per-pixel teapot with specular highlights
- Lesson 16: render-to-texture
- Pl4n3’s single-file skeletal animation
- Ilmari Heikkinen’s whale (a few glitches when drawing this one).
- Pavlos Toukiloglou’s Copperlicht-based Match 3D game.
- Evgeny Demidov’s interference patterns.
- CopperLicht’s Quake demo (loads, but a bit hard to control because keypresses go to the URL bar…)
- Four dollar Plastic Laminator (albeit at 1fps…)
- [UPDATE from the comments below, here's Glubble from PlayWebGL.]
(That list is entirely based on what I happened to click on over the course of this evening. If you’ve got a WebGL demo that you’d like me to try out, leave a comment below with a direct link to the WebGL page and I’ll let you know if it works, and put it in the list if it does.)